When I sat down with Leland, Dog and Beth Chapman to talk about their upcoming new CMT reality series Dog and Beth: On The Hunt and told them that my own family loved watching theirs on A&E’s smash Dog the Bounty Hunter, Beth wanted to know what I liked best about the show. I told her it was her family’s bond.

NEW INTERVIEW: Dog Chapman talks business family, and CMT’s Dog and Beth: On the Hunt Season 2

Much to my surprise — and with Dog and Leland looking on — she offered candid insight into what the Twittersphere has been discussing since plans for the show were announced in the summer: the absence of Baby Lyssa and Duane Lee Chapman from the cast of the show.

RELATED: Channel Guide’s exclusive interview with Dog, Beth and Leland Chapman

Slated to being in April, Dog and Beth: On The Hunt will focus on the three remaining Chapmans as they crisscross the nation, teaching struggling bail bond agencies how to succeed in the embattled trade by helping them hunt down some of America’s most dangerous criminals. While the show will highlight the Chapmans’ proven methods for capturing criminals and Leland’s expertise in non-lethal weaponry, Dog and Beth: On The Hunt will also address the family’s changing dynamic.

“The focal point of the show is our relationship — and our relationship with Leland,” Beth explained. “Because Leland wants to stay with his dad. Duane says this really profound thing where he says, ‘I don’t love you more, son. But you probably love me more than any of the other kids.’ Because as a parent, you don’t love any of your children differently. But they love you. And their love for you may be stronger than what your sister’s love is. And that’s what Leland is, right? His love for his dad is stronger than the others. And so he doesn’t want to be the one to leave or go away. He wants to be the one staying right here and doing what he does. And so we were really happy about that.”

RELATED:  Channel Guide talks with Lyssa Chapman about her new memoir, her parenting insights, her plans for a new TV show and more!

Though she did not elaborate on whether Duane Lee and Lyssa officially elected to not be part of the new show, Beth suggested that family priorities and individual interests may have factored in. “You know, people grow,” she continued, as Dog leaned into her affectionately, fiddling with the gold zippers on the shoulders of her dress and making Leland grin and shake his head. “Children grow up — and how long can you work for your mom and dad? You become 40 years old and you’re not married and you’re like, ‘Why am I still hanging around my dad?’ You know what I mean? At some point, you feel like there’s got to be changes made. And we as parents have to be OK with letting our bird fly. Hopefully it’ll come back and it will know that this was always the best thing for it. But if they don’t, you loved it and you coddled it and you wished it well. You can’t force your kids to stay with you forever.”

RELATED: Vote Dog & Beth On The Hunt for Best Family Values in Channel Guide’s 2014 Viewers Voice Awards!

Does that mean Lyssa and Duane Lee might join the show at a later date? The Chapmans didn’t say. But in the meantime, you can rest assured that Beth and Dog can relate to the pain and frustration fans felt as the Chapman children entered and exited Dog The Bounty Hunter throughout its eight seasons.

“We were lucky because our kids didn’t go away to college — our kids went to the college of hard knocks with us,” she says. “And so when there was some turmoil in the family, it was like our kids went to college all at the exact same time. We had that separation anxiety from them. But it really wasn’t that. It was just that they were spreading their wings and getting older. And they had their own families.

“Each person has to make their own decisions for their own lives.”

Photos: Electus

About Lori Acken

Lori just hasn't been the same since "thirtysomething" and "Northern Exposure" went off the air.
This entry was posted in Interview, Lifestyle, Reality TV, TV News & Program Updates and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

241 Responses to Beth Chapman on Baby Lyssa and Duane Lee’s absence from CMT’s Dog and Beth On The Hunt: “You can’t force your kids to stay with you forever”

1. Carlos Torres says:

I agree duane needs to grow some balls and not let beth control everything in there business she is a good mother and all but when she dont have her ways watch out

2. linda cantu says:

Whenis the show on again

3. diana kuilan says:

why is it that always people talk so much negativity, but don’t look at themselves,…there so pathetic an like if the dog an beth give to shits theres doing good an don’t care what anyone says about them, no one has the balls to tell them to there faces….im happy there doing good for themselves..!!!!

• Carroll Robbins says:

I have been searching for maay brother in Christ for decades. You do not believe Christ, when He says in Luke 14:26 “Anyone that comes to Me and does not HATE his own father and mother and wife and sister and brother and sister, yes, and even his own life CANNOT BE MY DISCIPLE. You HYPOCRITES ce!ebrate mothers day but not you or anyone else can show me a SINGLE VERSE in the Holy Bible where Jesus said ANYTHING GOOD about His mother, Mary. Your BALD FACED LYING PASTOR will convince you that HATE DOES NOT MEAN HATE and being a HYPOCRITE IDIOT, you will believe his beautiful LIES. DO YOU HATE YOUR
      MOTHER? I DO! Acts 17:24 tells you that God DOES NOT DWELL IN TEMPLES MADE BY HANDS. Your HYPOCRITE PASTOR will easily convince you that God was LYING and God inspires His words OUT OF CONTEXT and you show your trust in your pastor but not God’s inspired words. If my reply is BLOCKED from the public, God will BLOCK YOU from His kingdom. You have been told.

• pia lopez says:

The person who talks about the bible definately need major help !!

• Chrissy says:

Please don’t use public forums to shove your twisted and disturbed religious opinions down others throats. Seek therapy. Please. Amen.

4. Karen says:

No offense to Beth…..but I really think Duane Lee, Jr and Alyssa left because of Beth…she is really controlling at times and I am sure they weren’t getting paid well for all the work the did. I am sure Beth and Dog didn’t want to share that much money with them. Dog needs to step up and not let Beth take over everything….he is like a puppy dog up her butt and never stands up to her big mouth. I am not saying she is not a good Mom as I am sure she is….but Dog needs to stand up and take up for his children. And, by the way….for being such good Christians Beth and Dog….you both sure do CUSS a lot on your shows……

5. Minorkle says:

Leland is the only one of Dog’s many children to have a high school diploma. The College of Hard Knocks isn’t the only teacher. Stay in school.

6. I wish we could see all the clips from every episode of beths little drama fits she has all put together.I like her but she kills me with the drama she dishes out.

7. I would like to see all the clips put together of beths littles drama fits she has during each episode.she kills me with that.

8. Vickie Penton says:

I wasn’t a big fan at first, especially of Beth. But, after seeing her with her children & Dog’s children, I saw a very caring, strong-willed, protective, family oriented mother. After hearing about her past & her mistakes (which took alot of courage to talk about it on national TV), she is a great roll model for others who are making the same mistakes/choices. It shows that ppl CAN change.
    I love the family bond and their bounty hunting ways. By giving ppl 2nd chances & trying to help where they can, shows the difference in their bounty hunting & others.
    However, I feel that a few “xtra dramatic’s” are added to the show for better for ratings.
    Leland is not only HOT, but a bad ass as well. He seems very caring and I am definatly a fan of his! Duane Lee & baby Lisa, well, they need to give Duane Lee more notiriety for his part on the show & Baby Lisa needs a new name cuz she’s an adult & a mother now. Plus, it sounds a bit weak for a woman that bounty hunts. Just “Lisa” works. Dog…well, I feel u have a huge heart, but I don’t understand how all of you can pray before you go looking for a fugitive & cuss like hell, threaten & judge (calling them names) when you find them?
    When u offer help, how much help do you really give a fugitive? Why don’t you show the “ones that got away” or the ones that “fight”? Has any of you ever been hit?

9. Dorothy E Olson says:

I live in Canada in a small town named Champion. I watch your show’s everyday(The Bounty Hunter), then weekly(On the Hunt) & Love both of them. I guess part of the reason is how you keep your kids so close & how Beth is so protective of them yet give’s it to them with both barrels if they need it & never once refers to them as Step Kids, she always says she has 12 kids! Does there real Mother’s not have anything to do with them?? Where is Travis the grandson u were raising?? I am disabled & often ask God why he payed this mess on my plate when I was only 42yrs old? I have a Brother & Sister who live close to me & we don’t speak, so I look up to your shows because of the family & how you keep your faith in God! My dieing wish is to meet you but I am sure that won’t happen as Champion is a 2hr drive from Calgary Alberta, Canada. Also what are the titles of the books your family have wrote? Names & Authors??

10. Judy Dougherty says:

I am from baltimore md and we all dont feel the way the previous person does. U do great work. I support u. U are just like us with family problems just like everyone else. I am reading ur new book and its great. Keep on dog keep on.

11. Robert Rahe says:

You and ur whole crue burn me up wit your fake ass” we wanna help” I challenge you and your who family to come to Southwest Baltimore, Md and we will find out just how loud that mouth gets you. You no doubt know ur place, you’ve never hunted a real Bad motherf——, you chase all people with, DWI or Simple poss, you talk about the time you’ve done, hell I’ve done that much time on the shitter, your weak.Dog huh,?? Should be more like puppy…. Leland is the star of the show. He needs to break away from your sorry ass an do his own thing-

12. Karen says:

I admit that I was not a big fan of the Chapman Family at first, that being said, I am absolutely hooked on ALL OF THEM! Beth, I feel as though you are doing a kick-ass job as a wife, mother, step-mother, and has a heart of pure gold. I was disappointed when Dog the Bounty Hunter ended. I have also not been able to locate the new series. From what I have seen on clips is a truly different show entirely

13. Angela howell says:

Hi my name is Angie, and my daughter is a Chapman, her name is Breanna and all we know a of the Chapman family is her grandfather’s name is Doanald Eugene Chapman, and she’s never met them .Breannas father Donald Wayne Chapman and I moved to California to get to know his father. Of course alot of ? But all we was told was that he had a brother and they had a falling out when they was younger and all he really said was bis brother had some kids , didn’t know where he’s at and we asked about Donald’s parents he said they had passed away, so I have been trying to help my daughter find any of her family, besides her father and grandfather…It would be greatly appreciated if you know you are related to her grandfather..To please notify me , And let Breanna and I know if so or not..and thank you, and we love your shows,ty Angie…

14. Vickie Pittman says:

I just hope they keep Sonny on the show….