When I sat down with Leland, Dog and Beth Chapman to talk about their upcoming new CMT reality series Dog and Beth: On The Hunt and told them that my own family loved watching theirs on A&E’s smash Dog the Bounty Hunter, Beth wanted to know what I liked best about the show. I told her it was her family’s bond.

NEW INTERVIEW: Dog Chapman talks business family, and CMT’s Dog and Beth: On the Hunt Season 2

Much to my surprise — and with Dog and Leland looking on — she offered candid insight into what the Twittersphere has been discussing since plans for the show were announced in the summer: the absence of Baby Lyssa and Duane Lee Chapman from the cast of the show.

RELATED: Channel Guide’s exclusive interview with Dog, Beth and Leland Chapman

Slated to being in April, Dog and Beth: On The Hunt will focus on the three remaining Chapmans as they crisscross the nation, teaching struggling bail bond agencies how to succeed in the embattled trade by helping them hunt down some of America’s most dangerous criminals. While the show will highlight the Chapmans’ proven methods for capturing criminals and Leland’s expertise in non-lethal weaponry, Dog and Beth: On The Hunt will also address the family’s changing dynamic.

“The focal point of the show is our relationship — and our relationship with Leland,” Beth explained. “Because Leland wants to stay with his dad. Duane says this really profound thing where he says, ‘I don’t love you more, son. But you probably love me more than any of the other kids.’ Because as a parent, you don’t love any of your children differently. But they love you. And their love for you may be stronger than what your sister’s love is. And that’s what Leland is, right? His love for his dad is stronger than the others. And so he doesn’t want to be the one to leave or go away. He wants to be the one staying right here and doing what he does. And so we were really happy about that.”

RELATED:  Channel Guide talks with Lyssa Chapman about her new memoir, her parenting insights, her plans for a new TV show and more!

Though she did not elaborate on whether Duane Lee and Lyssa officially elected to not be part of the new show, Beth suggested that family priorities and individual interests may have factored in. “You know, people grow,” she continued, as Dog leaned into her affectionately, fiddling with the gold zippers on the shoulders of her dress and making Leland grin and shake his head. “Children grow up — and how long can you work for your mom and dad? You become 40 years old and you’re not married and you’re like, ‘Why am I still hanging around my dad?’ You know what I mean? At some point, you feel like there’s got to be changes made. And we as parents have to be OK with letting our bird fly. Hopefully it’ll come back and it will know that this was always the best thing for it. But if they don’t, you loved it and you coddled it and you wished it well. You can’t force your kids to stay with you forever.”

RELATED: Vote Dog & Beth On The Hunt for Best Family Values in Channel Guide’s 2014 Viewers Voice Awards!

Does that mean Lyssa and Duane Lee might join the show at a later date? The Chapmans didn’t say. But in the meantime, you can rest assured that Beth and Dog can relate to the pain and frustration fans felt as the Chapman children entered and exited Dog The Bounty Hunter throughout its eight seasons.

“We were lucky because our kids didn’t go away to college — our kids went to the college of hard knocks with us,” she says. “And so when there was some turmoil in the family, it was like our kids went to college all at the exact same time. We had that separation anxiety from them. But it really wasn’t that. It was just that they were spreading their wings and getting older. And they had their own families.

“Each person has to make their own decisions for their own lives.”

Photos: Electus

About Lori Acken

Lori just hasn't been the same since "thirtysomething" and "Northern Exposure" went off the air.
This entry was posted in Interview, Lifestyle, Reality TV, TV News & Program Updates and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

207 Responses to Beth Chapman on Baby Lyssa and Duane Lee’s absence from CMT’s Dog and Beth On The Hunt: “You can’t force your kids to stay with you forever”

1. linda wiley says:

I watch your show all the time and I love it I love how the whole family is in the business my little two and a half year old granddaughter watches the show with me and when she seen Dog and Beth one day where Beth was acting like she was going to beat Dog up she asked my Nana who is that and I said that is Beth and Dog I wish your show was on everyday cause I would watch it everyday all day long I would like a picture of Mr. Dog and Mrs.Beth

2. joy says:

I don’t believe any of the things that Beth has said about Duane Lee baby lyssa leaving something serious has happened Beth has run the show since it has started I don’t like the way she makes a difference and the kids I like Leland Duane Lee and baby Lisa . dog you need to stand up be a man and take up for your own kids I know you have other children with bath but your first born daughter also important you make a big difference and the younger ones and the older ones I know the little ones need your your attention but so do your older children I lost my oldest son in a car accident as you did your daughter and there is no way I would make the difference in my younger children and my older children I love them all the same you don’t treat your older children like you do your others I hope with all my heart you apologize to Duane Lee and baby Lisa they are you also your children

3. kc says:

The new show is actually better than their old show. One reason is because they don’t have all that baloney about their family and all their made-up dramas, blah blah blah. The new show seems more reality based and is actually quite good. Although dog has a bright red face and looks like he’s ready for a bi-pass operation.

• joy says:

I don’t agree the new show is lacking in the family business it doesn’t have Dewayne later baby Lisa in it I’m ashamed for Leland because he left his brother and sister behind just be with Beth she is the one that makes all the decisions for you you both you man need to stand up and be men and stop taking your orders from Beth be a man

4. Holly Dietrich says:

We watch the new show and even record episodes of the old show because we just love it. Dog’s birthday was awesome. I was amazed at how much the kids have grown into their own. Sad that some didn’t attend but thats life I guess. Keep up the great work. We love you all.

5. Alice Fletcher says:

I love the new show.I am surprised that Duane Lee wasen’t at his Dad’s birthday party.

6. Susan (Sue) Courtney says:

I wondered why, for Dog’s 61st birthday, Christopher was brought to Hawaii for the party but Duane Lee was absent. I love both shows (the old “Dog the Bounty Hunter” and “Dog and Beth on the Hunt”)!!! Please answer this, and also tell me how I can keep in touch with you. I love you all.

7. Dennis Brinkman says:

First, Happy Birthday Dog. I thought the Birthday party For Dog’s 61st was a great show. However, can anyone explain why Duane Lee and his children weren’t at the party, when Beth went to great lengths to bring his closest friends and,even his son Chris to make Dog’s party complete ?

8. Tina says:

I used to love the show. That’s when everybody was on it. I think its grown too much for Beth. Family should stick together. Its different if one kid is out of it, but two? Humm. Not buying that its the kids fault. Sorry.

9. Mary Ann Clark says:

This is very well written, I have watched your shows when they began on A&E and now on CMT. Although your entire family isn’t doing bounty hunting it’s more important that you have let them spread their wings because I’m sure they have come back home for visits and stayed in touch. It would be nice to have updates on them but keeping their personal lives private is understood. You look like great people and if I ever had the chance to meet you and get an autograph I would be happy. Keep up your hard work and wish Dog a Happy Birthday!

10. John - USAF Retired says:

Thank you for your article. Thank you Chapman Family for the entertainment. I watched one show and was hooked. You have touched my heart allowing me to understand what people go through. I will never Judge anyone. I came close to death many years ago as a young man. I have always said, I am not better than anyone else. I visited a man in prison and shared Jesus with him as he had no hope. I called out to God as I laid on the ground taking my last breath. Peace to you all, love one another, forgive one another. Again, thank you for sharing your family and lives. Tell the Chapman Family thank you.