When I sat down with Leland, Dog and Beth Chapman to talk about their upcoming new CMT reality series Dog and Beth: On The Hunt and told them that my own family loved watching theirs on A&E’s smash Dog the Bounty Hunter, Beth wanted to know what I liked best about the show. I told her it was her family’s bond.

CMT ANNOUNCES DOG AND BETH: ON THE HUNT SEASON 2 PREMIERE DATE!

Much to my surprise — and with Dog and Leland looking on — she offered candid insight into what the Twittersphere has been discussing since plans for the show were announced in the summer: the absence of Baby Lyssa and Duane Lee Chapman from the cast of the show.

RELATED: Channel Guide’s exclusive interview with Dog, Beth and Leland Chapman

Slated to being in April, Dog and Beth: On The Hunt will focus on the three remaining Chapmans as they crisscross the nation, teaching struggling bail bond agencies how to succeed in the embattled trade by helping them hunt down some of America’s most dangerous criminals. While the show will highlight the Chapmans’ proven methods for capturing criminals and Leland’s expertise in non-lethal weaponry, Dog and Beth: On The Hunt will also address the family’s changing dynamic.

“The focal point of the show is our relationship — and our relationship with Leland,” Beth explained. “Because Leland wants to stay with his dad. Duane says this really profound thing where he says, ‘I don’t love you more, son. But you probably love me more than any of the other kids.’ Because as a parent, you don’t love any of your children differently. But they love you. And their love for you may be stronger than what your sister’s love is. And that’s what Leland is, right? His love for his dad is stronger than the others. And so he doesn’t want to be the one to leave or go away. He wants to be the one staying right here and doing what he does. And so we were really happy about that.”

RELATED:  Channel Guide talks with Lyssa Chapman about her new memoir, her parenting insights, her plans for a new TV show and more!

Though she did not elaborate on whether Duane Lee and Lyssa officially elected to not be part of the new show, Beth suggested that family priorities and individual interests may have factored in. “You know, people grow,” she continued, as Dog leaned into her affectionately, fiddling with the gold zippers on the shoulders of her dress and making Leland grin and shake his head. “Children grow up — and how long can you work for your mom and dad? You become 40 years old and you’re not married and you’re like, ‘Why am I still hanging around my dad?’ You know what I mean? At some point, you feel like there’s got to be changes made. And we as parents have to be OK with letting our bird fly. Hopefully it’ll come back and it will know that this was always the best thing for it. But if they don’t, you loved it and you coddled it and you wished it well. You can’t force your kids to stay with you forever.”

RELATED: Vote Dog & Beth On The Hunt for Best Family Values in Channel Guide’s Viewers Voice Awards!

Does that mean Lyssa and Duane Lee might join the show at a later date? The Chapmans didn’t say. But in the meantime, you can rest assured that Beth and Dog can relate to the pain and frustration fans felt as the Chapman children entered and exited Dog The Bounty Hunter throughout its eight seasons.

“We were lucky because our kids didn’t go away to college — our kids went to the college of hard knocks with us,” she says. “And so when there was some turmoil in the family, it was like our kids went to college all at the exact same time. We had that separation anxiety from them. But it really wasn’t that. It was just that they were spreading their wings and getting older. And they had their own families.

“Each person has to make their own decisions for their own lives.”

Photos: Electus

About Lori Acken

Lori just hasn't been the same since "thirtysomething" and "Northern Exposure" went off the air.
This entry was posted in Interview, Lifestyle, Reality TV, TV News & Program Updates and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

151 Responses to Beth Chapman on Baby Lyssa and Duane Lee’s absence from CMT’s Dog and Beth On The Hunt: “You can’t force your kids to stay with you forever”

1. This is a very good show. The family does a great job being a great bounty hunter and excellent teamwork.we need to let the viewers do their job and be real and god like. Stop being religious.

2. roy moore says:

Hi, I follow u on tv an a big fan of you and dog.

• tbone says:

The show desperately needs Leland to survive. Sure hope he’s paid fairly or it’ll be another Orange County (chopper) break up.

3. Julie says:

There is verses on language. James 3:9 praise and
    cursing can’t come out of the mouth. also
    In Colossians it said do not let any unwholesome
    word proceed out of your mouth

4. Julie says:

I tell you what really bothers me. Dog praises everyone on a good job
    Do you think he would ever praise Duane Lee? NO
    He does have favorites. One episode Duane Lee
    Captured a guy by himself, the dog came. When
    They took the guy in Duane Lee was waiting to hear
    good job son, do you think Dog would have the
    gall to tell him. Nope. That makes me soo angry
    To not even watch the show.

There is a bible verse about our language. It said
    Do not let any unwholesome come out of your
    Mouth only that is of praise. Also it said can cursing and praises
    Come out of the same mouth. James 3:9

5. terry says:

I think Dog should get rid of Beth, she has came between true family over money and if u have kept up with it u would kno thats all its about. Beth is a money hungry person and Dog should kick her off the show

6. jenny says:

just for the record that is not really fare that people are blaming Leland for the other people’s-mistakes. and i watch there show every morning before i go to school. and it is awesome. and i really miss all of them. but now dog should not take him quieting smoking. but i really love the show and i hope that everyone does not take any of this personal. but if they do i am sorry i was just saying my opinion. so have fun bounty hunting.

7. Benjamin Bowles says:

Thats very funny. 1 minute they’ll be in a hudle praying and giving thanks, 10 seconds later all of them are cussing like sailors. Is that God like? Dog is the BIGGEST HYPOCRIT in the world. When serving the lord its not a part time job like he acts like.

• Christine says:

What do God and cussing have to do with each other? Where in the bible does it say you can’t cuss? That’s right, NOWHERE!!

• Joe says:

You are right, there is nothing in the bible regarding cussing – there is plenty in there about uppity women however, i.e. that you should not ever be giving any guff to a man. So don’t you have some washing up to do or something? Nobody wants to hear the opinion of an un-Christian, uppity woman!

• Shannon says:

And the bible can be interpreted a 100 different ways by a 100 different people. And thus, apparently woman dont need men, immaculate conception and all, so dont you have a hole to crawl into and die!!!

• Christen says:

Actually, I do believe there is something in the bible about using profanity, but I do agree with you! I think they are great people, who have passion in what they do. They curse cause they get heated up !! No big deal – just words. You can curse and love the lord!!!!

8. tracy rae says:

I love dog and Beth and Duane Lee will come around and Lelands been there from day one and baby lyssas trying to find her groove in the end your family rocks

9. L. Nichols says:

I get up at 4:30 am every weekday to watch 2 hours of bounty hunter as I don’t have CMT at this time. Today bothered me a whole lot because of the way Dog spoke to Beth. “you’re dismissed when I say you are dismissed”, etc. He disagreed with her, played the bully as if he is still trying to quit smoking and taking it out on her. I don’t know yet what happened between Beth and Duane Lee, but I still don’t appreciate Dog thinking he’s the Boss of all Bounty hunting. I’ve seen episodes where each and every one solved the case and yet Dog seems to want to take all the credit. Big ego, still a criminal.

10. Kevin says:

Oops. Forgot a couple things. I think I may scream.everytime she calls Gary, Gary “Boy”. And am I the only person who thinks its kinda creepy that Gary Boy has a young dude who washes his teeth, cooks for him and the creepiest thing of all is he brushes his hair for him. The Freegin kid is old enough to do that stuff on his own. They have America FOOLED AND ITS SAD! !!! Wake up they exploit their kids fir ratings, they hunt down traffic warrants and drug warrants and they would never in a million years go looking for a jump if Leyland or Sonny wasn’t with them. Their all COWARDS EXCEPT fir LEYLAND SONNY AND DWAYNE LEE. Dog is NOT a tough Guy. He only acts tough when Leyland or Sonny is there. If they wanna impress me, go after the HARCORE MURDERERS OUT THERE THAT NEED TO BE CAPTURED. GO TO DETROIT SOMETIME FOG. SEE HOW THAT GOES FOR YA. I bet it ends ugly.

11. Kevin says:

Come on people. WAKE UP!!!! The power hungry, Blonde Bimbo who absolutelytreats every one of her non biological children like trash should be ASHAMED at her conduct. Don’t be fooled for one second. She is not super mom. She wants to be a superstar plain and simple. But the fact is HOLLYWOOD isn’t looking for an overweight floosy who dresses tacky has boobs that are absolutely ridiculous looking and she just kind hide the fact that she is poor white trash who happens to be a millionaire now. What’s she did to Dwayne Lee was brutal, cunning and totally planned. Its this simple, you can put makeup on a pig but its always gonna be a pig.

12. Kiapua says:

I hope all the Chapmans know that they have an audience of people who are not only enjoying watching these episodes but watching how the family interacts with each other and with outsiders and work-it with their own styles….somewhere there is empathy, friendship and love mixed into chaos which they eventually work-out amongst themselves …we watch and learn….and we wish everyone gets back together for the final shows…Dog isn’t getting any younger but he’s got the heart of a LION

13. bettie eatchel says:

how do i see “dog and on the hunt”on TV?
    what about Tim and all the babies-Single Dad?
    How is Duane doing?

14. Kona Wahine says:

this family of “potty-mouthes ” cracks us up…they are into some major kaka dealing with the mountainous kaka they put themselves into while catching criminals. the chapmans come from backgrounds of chaos and that’s the only reason they can attack and then love these criminals who show a glimmer of wanting some type of help …I like that about the show and I also like the dynamic of the entire Chapman family cause I realize it is not easy to be around family and work with them all the time without someone feelings getting hurt etc …. Dog and his family show us viewers that there really is hope for all of us equally …. from the very rich to the very poor, we are equals because we each have our cross to bear in this life of learning and loving . btw, i’m curious, does leland still have it going on with his army lady ?

15. laura says:

I miss lyssa and duane Lee I wish they would come back!

• debbie lynn fields says:

i debbie hope they come back i really liked watching them 2 on the show they really made the the the show

• Joyce says:

I agree I miss them also. I am sure that Beth had something to do with them leaving and Dog believes everything she has to say about his kids. If I hear Boy when she is referring to Gary, I think I will scream. We got it Beth, he is a boy. I just wonder what she will do when her children are old enough to bounty hunt, I bet we will see them on the show. I don’t watch the new show, I only watch the reruns on A&E that has Duane Lee and Lyssa.

16. Katherine P Ray says:

God did not asign any of us as judge and jury , so those of you who are judging ANY of the Chapmans need to spend your time worrying about your own family relationships. Dog and Beth are not the ones who edit the show and we don’t know what goes on when the cameras aren’t around. I would venture to guess none of us could do a better job than they do. Keep the faith and the love for one another Chapmans and know your reward awaits you in heaven.