Dog and Beth Chapman address family troubles in upcoming CMT special

A week before their new CMT series Dog and Beth: On the Hunt premieres on CMT, Duane “Dog” Chapman and his wife Beth will address the issue that has weighed heaviest on their fans’ minds: What has happened with the Chapman clan since the family publicly imploded as Dog the Bounty Hunter headed toward its unexpected series finale.

dog and beth chapman

Dog and Beth: The Preview Special premieres Sunday, April 14 at 8pm ET/PT on CMT and will re-air throughout the week leading up to their new bounty-hunting bonanza. Fans can also stream the special online at CMT.com.

According to the network’s press release, Dog and Beth: The Preview Special covers the 15-month timespan since the end of Bounty Hunter, during which the Chapmans and their children Leland, Duane Lee and Baby Lyssa argued over the future of the family’s bail-bond enterprise, and Duane and Beth prepared to take their business in a dangerous new direction alone. “Dog and Beth: The Preview Special shows the dramatic struggles of a professional bounty-hunting team attempting to move on without crucial team members, a father and son both battling their own pride and the Chapman’s unwavering belief in second chances,” the network said.

When I sat down with Dog, Beth and Leland Chapman in January to discuss Dog and Beth: On the Hunt, the issue of Lyssa and Duane Lee’s departure was foremost on Beth’s mind.

“The focal point of the show is our relationship — and our relationship with Leland,” she explained. “Because Leland wants to stay with his dad. Duane says this really profound thing where he says, ‘I don’t love you more, son. But you probably love me more than any of the other kids.’ Because as a parent, you don’t love any of your children differently. But they love you. And their love for you may be stronger than what your sister’s love is. And that’s what Leland is, right? His love for his dad is stronger than the others.’ And so he doesn’t want to be the one to leave or go away. He wants to be the one staying right here and doing what he does. And so we were really happy about that.”

Check out the rest of Channel Guide’s funny and revealing interview with Dog, Beth and Leland Chapman here and in the April issue of Channel Guide Magazine.

CMT photo by Andy Batt

About Lori Acken

Lori just hasn't been the same since "thirtysomething" and "Northern Exposure" went off the air.
This entry was posted in Lifestyle, Reality TV, TV News & Program Updates and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Dog and Beth Chapman address family troubles in upcoming CMT special

1. Lorenzo Beamon says:

I do enjoy watching Dog the Bounty Hunter. But what makes me upset is how Beth tries to act like she is the one running the show. She has this attitude that is going to bite her in the ass one of these days if she doesn’t start speaking to people properly. She’s not a Bounty Hunter, she’s just a inflated Boobed Braud with long nails who doesn’t want to find a new line of work.

2. I think you guys are great I don’t care what people say ,if you don’t like the show no ones twisting your arm to watch it they are great I wish I could see them I’m disabled cannot travel or I would some people are lucky to be able to see them so I watch them every morning here and Saturday they are on here I love Tim Youngblood he takes good care of those kids , I love your show hope to see you one day ! Keep up the good work !!! Love ya sincerely Barbara Watson!

• lisa says:

What happened to them? They got fat. Their voices are so deep. And their mouths are messed up. Even Lelands. Beth sounds like a dude and is HUGE! Hate this new show.

3. ella says:

Did all the fame tear you guys apart? I think dog has a certain level of detachment with people anyway, look at all the different family systems he has created….Beth puts up with alot more than the screen shows, I love the show, but remember actions speak louder than words, dont make regrets, forgive and move on….

4. Evelyn Gould says:

This is for Beth,I have a son who is know 34years old on his second wife.has 2boys from 2different women,this is what I don’t understand his oldest boy Frankie has tried to keep in touch with his father,but my son won’t even talk to him.,the other son he doesn’t even knows that he is alive.he give all his rights over to the wife . Know he also treats his father and I as if we were dead has not talked to us in two years.please tell me what to do. Mae

5. Jennifer says:

I love Beth an Dog an there family I hope they can get there family back together they do a lot to keep bad ppl of the streets I love there show. I think if ya don’t have a kind word to say keep your mouth shut ! Keep up the good job guys

6. crystal says:

As for Ally’s comment/question “how can sya racist have a television show and be supported by so many ppl?” Well, my answer is the same way racists like kanye west makes albums and so many ppl support him…

7. DellaRomero says:

Sorry To Say, But Slot Of Us Southerners Like Leland,Duane Lee, Tim, And Lyssa. Dog And Especially Beth Are So Over Acting!!!!! We, (My Family) Only Watc The Show For The Kids And Tim. Beth Is So Over Dramafied, And They Love TheFact That Cameras Follow Them Around. Due To The Fact That The Other Kids Left The Show, We Have No Desire To Watch Dog And Especially BETH Make Fools Of Themselves. Somebody Is Really Gonna Grab BetH ONeday And Just Bullie Her Around Like She Bullies Ppl. Ha.

• Lorenzo Beamon says:

I agree with you, Beth is really a drama queen who is gonna get put in her place one day because of her mouth. She talks down to everyone and it really makes the show suck.

8. Donna Boyd says:

Dog and Beth, don’t know what pulled your family apart, but I can tell you whatever it was is not big enough to destroy your family! If you can’t agree then agree to disagree, because I am here to tell you at the end of the day, family is all there is. My youngest son hasn’t spoke to my husband and I for nine years. I learned thru another son there are three grandson’s I will never see. Nothing is worth that. We to this day don’t even know why he turned his back on his entire family, not just us. I would give anything but my soul to see and hug him again. Hug those babies and have them know this Grandma’s love. Let God direct you to reconciliation, or you will regret it till the day you die. Nothing! is that big, nothing is unforgiveable and family belongs together. Your promotion of family is what drew me to your show, love of God and his mercy. I have seen your mercy many times given to those you arrest. Maybe you need to pray that God will restore that mercy back into your heart. Then, my friend “hunt down” those that are astray in your family and get on your knees and profess you love for them. The Devil hates family love and will slip in and destroy it every chance he gets. Someone, in your family let him in. Time now to kick his ass back to hell! I raised four great kids and have beautiful grand kids all of which I would die for. That, is out job no matter how old our kids get. My son? If he ever gives me the chance, he will know that when he left he took a big chunk of my heart and that I am there to reclaim it. Kudos for the good work you guys do. But remember this Dog, you(the father) will answer to God for the split in your family. I tell you all this out of love and concern! pride has nothing to do with love and you already know that. Get your children back where they belong. Bring them back on the wings of an angel and never let them go again. You see love never goes away even in anger. Its there and will be. The show will someday go away, but the love of your children won’t if you handle it right. I have seen their love for you and Beth. Take the high road my friend and restore your family to it’s once former glory. In doing that, you glorify God. Love you all and will pray for you. In the meanwhile, just keep on kicking ass!

9. blackmetalmikey says:

yu are in my set of wood . keep up good job u 3 come and vist in Washington why are u here

10. Robert Miller says:

I would love to see the family back in the islands
    where they belong and get tim all the help he needs.

11. Heather Poe says:

Dear Auntie Beth: I just love how you and dog get the bad guys off the streets. I’ve been a huge fan of your show since its been on tv. Beth and Dog uses both do a amazing job catching them. Love your fan heather poe

12. wanda joiner says:

dear dog im writing this letter to let you know that I thank your the greatest and your family are awesome to is there any way that I could get a picture of you I would really love it if you could and I love you and beth’s new show keep up the good work

13. cathy tucker says:

this message is for the chapman family i love your show you all do a lot of good i would like to extend an invitation for you all to come to enid the american legion in enid oklahoma is having a car show to raise money for our veterans dog i know your dad was in the military and even though he is gone i would like to say thank you for your service

14. Ally says:

FUNNY HOW A RACIST CAN HAVE A T.V. SHOW???????AND STILL BE SUPPORTED BY SO MANNY??????

15. Cheryl says:

Almost fell off my chair when Dog asked Beth to have another baby: OMG.

I think Dog is having a midlife crisis and has to come to terms with his own mortality. Dog and Beth are far too old (sorry, just speaking biologically) and busy to be “new” parents. I think Beth should retort with, “Please baby, quit smoking.”

OMG, I’m not going to watch that episode in reruns……I might vomit in my mouth.

• Kaleka says:

I about fell off my chair when he asked her to have another baby too! Wow! I wonder if she’ll do it?

• Kaleka says:

Yeah…I thought he had quit until I saw the new show. I wonder why he went back to smoking…I agree with u Cheryl…she should retort with, “Please baby, quit smoking.”

• Michelle says:

Beth isn’t actually that old, definitely not as old as Dog, it wouldn’t be that strange for her to have another kid. But how many does Dog have? Does he even know how many he has? I completely agree that Dog is having a mid-life crisis.

16. Amy M.Santos says:

I Love You Leland Chapman soooooooooo much 100%

Love Always
    Amy Marie Santos

17. Stacy says:

Kaleka- I get that you like Beth, but not everyone is going to like her. Everyone regardless of what you think has a right to their own opinion. Duane Lee, baby Lisa, and Leland are my favorite family members and its sad that 2 out of those 3 will not be there.