7 Questions With … Maggie Lawson of ABC’s Back in the Game and USA Network’s Psych.
We threw seven hardball questions to Maggie Lawson, who stars as a single mom who coaches her son’s little league team on ABC’s Back in the Game (Wednesdays at 8:30pm ET/PT beginning Sept. 25) and as Junior Detective Juliet “Jules” O’Hara on USA Network’s Psych.
1. You’re at a magazine rack and can pick three magazines. Which ones do you pick?
Travel + Leisure, Dwell and Vanity Fair.
2. If your DVR only carried three shows, what would they be?
So You Think You Can Dance, Shark Tank and Homeland. A random mix of shows.
3. What has been your strangest fan encounter?
I don’t know if it’s that weird, or that strange, but it actually happens to me a lot. People tell me that I look really tall on television. I’m 5’3″ and a half. So that’s wrong. I’ve done Psych for like forever, and my partner on the show [Timothy Omundson] is like 6’3″, so I’m always on a box of some kind to get me in the same shot, or really high heels. So I probably do look taller.
4. When was the last time you were starstruck?
So William Shatner played my dad on Psych, and the very first day I met him, I kept calling him “Mr. Shatner.” He kept telling me to call him Bill. And for the first three hours that we were shooting, I kind of don’t remember what happened. I know we shot something. I know we did a scene together.
5. Shatner? So you’re a Star Trek fan, then.
I was a William Shatner fan. Totally. I was pretty floored to meet him. That was a big one. It was pretty cool.
6. What three items must you always have in your fridge or pantry?
Rice cakes, peanut butter — that’s my favorite snack ever — and coffee. … Wine?
7. Your family was split between Chicago Cubs fans and Cincinnati Reds fans. Which side did you fall on?
Mostly the Cubs. The majority of the family went Cubs, so I kind of went Cubs, too. The Cubs were just always on. Harry Caray. Yeah.